Want to suggest a link? Drop me a line!
General knitting instruction
- about.com's knitting site, a good repository of very useful information mixed with some not-so useful information
Sock knitting instruction
- Lauri B's Toes and Heels gives links to just about everything you need to know to knit a sock. Pick a cast on, heel, toe, cast off, etc and off you go! If the link is broken, try this archive
- The Socknitters list on yahoo is a group of 10,000 sock addicted knitters, some of which love to answer questions of newbies.
Hate math and need help designign a sock pattern to fit a specific foot, or to adjust for gauge? They one of these free sock calculators. Once you know about how many stitches to cast on, you can use that to adjsut an existing pattern, or just knit the plain sock as directed by the calculator. I would also point out that most of these do NOT subtract negative ease - if you would like to do that please subtract it from your measurements before you enter them.
Lace Knitting instruction
Charity Knitting Organizations
- Children in common collects hand knit garments, particularly socks, for children in russian orphanages. Also visit the yahoo group CIC-knit.
- Afghans for Afghans collects blankets and garments for families in this war torn nation.
- Project Linus collects hand knit blankets for children in clinics and shelters.
- Please also contact your local hospital for information on knitting chemo caps and premie caps/socks/blankets.
Free pattern sites
- Knitty the famous online magazine, hosts a wealth of free patterns by up and coming designers.
- Knitting Pattern Central links to literally thousands of sites with free patterns for just about anything you can imagine wanting to knit.
Favorite online yarn stores
- The Knitter, good general yarn shop, good sock yarn selection, good service, free shipping.
- The Knitting Zone, a good general yarn source and one of few sources of the Hiya Hiya needles, my favorite sock needles
- Simply Socks Yarn Company has just about any sock yarn you want.
- Paradise Fibers specializes in spinning fibers, and also has great yarn. I personally recommend the barefoot sock roving - a blend of superwash wool, nylon and mohair, my favorite sock blend.
- Frankie from the Socknitters list recommends The Loopy Ewe, stating "Very friendly folks with good service. NAYY"
- I'm sure there are other yarn stores out there that totally rock. These are just my favorites. If you are NOT a shop owner and would like to recommend a shop, please e-mail me their name, URL, and why you like them.